02 March 2006

Thoughts while working on Pearl...

I have the front pieces finished and have gotten quite a bit done on the sleeves. I'm working both sleeves at the same time just to see how this method goes, and I'm pretty happy with it so far. In previous sweaters, I've noticed that I usually take about a week to complete one sleeve. On this it seems that I can complete both sleeves in the same amount of time as one sleeve if I work them together. Nice to know when you're on a deadline.



Another thing to note is that when I blocked the pieces, they seemed to grow when wet. Not sure if this has anything to do with the yarn or if it's my tension showing its ugly side when soaked, but it does shrink back to the correct size as it dries (thank God). I just pinned it loosely as close to measurement as I could get and re-pinned them a couple more times until they were the right size.

I'm thinking about adding an invisible zipper or hook closure so that the jacket will be more, well, jackety. I think my mom will also appreciate the ability to close the front. Not sure how sewing these in will affect the edging detail, though.

Labels: