18 August 2006

FO: Argyle Stockings...

Inspired by Eunny and my impatience to wait for the pattern:



Pattern: The chart that Eunny posted; the rest I figured out myself.
Yarn: Dale Baby Ull in purple (1.67 balls/300yds/275m) and pastel purple (1.33 balls/240yds/220m)
Needles: US2/2.75mm Clover bamboo DPNs
Time: About 1 month.

Notes:

  • The first stocking took a while because I made a mathematical error that I didn't realize until I was halfway through with the foot. I had to frog the whole thing, go back the the drawing board (or in this case, sheets of graph paper), and start all over. The second was a breeze since I had the pattern down.

  • 1x1 Twisted rib for the top.

  • The measurements I needed were multiples of 12 sts, so I did not knit a "back seam." I just decreased at the beginning and end of every couple rounds (I guess you can call this an "invisible" back seam). This created a tiny bit of a job between the decrease section, which probably wouldn't be noticeable in anything else but it stands out among the colorwork. Or at least it does to me. Blocking will probably take care of this.

  • I did the toe and heel in just the purple because I didn't want anything to distract from the argyle pattern. I used two strands, alternating every-other stitch, to make them thicker and stronger. I think the technical term might be tv√•√§ndsstickning but I'm not sure if I did it exactly this way.

  • While I generally like the end result of heel flaps and gussets, I don't really like the process, especially when I'm already dealing with colorwork. Instead, I decided to try doing an afterthought heel. Basically, once done with the leg, you knit about half the stitches onto waste yarn and continue knitting around in pattern for the foot and toe. Then you go back, pick up the stitches on either side of the waste yarn, remove the yarn, and knit around while decreasing in a similar fashion as the toe. I found that this heel also fits me really well and is very comfortable. I think I'll use it more from now on. Only problem is I still have a little trouble with picking up stitches on one side of the waste yarn, but maybe this will clear up once I try it on a single, solid-colored sock.

  • Originally, I thought knitting the sole in just pastel purple would look nice. I soon realized that this wouldn't work because I still needed the darker color for the top of the foot. Duh. So I charted out an upside-down "V" pattern that would look mostly pastel purple but still allow me to carry the purple around.



    I love, love, love these socks. They're comfy, warm, and made to my measurements so they're a perfect fit. And, of course, I love the color (I love anything that's purple). I think I might make more.

    Also, I'm thinking that the key to getting me into sock-knitting is colorwork. I really enjoyed making these and the Norwegian Stockings (despite all the frustration). Lace socks may also be addictive but I haven't gotten around to knitting them (I've only done one pair as a traveling project) enough to tell.

    Labels: ,