06 March 2007

FO: Tweed V-neck...

Another one for Project Spectrum.

Pattern: My own
Yarn: Rowan Felted Tweed shade #131; 5 balls
Needles: US4/3.5mm KnitPicks Options and Susan Bates DPNs; US5/3.75mm KnitPicks Options and Inox DPNs
Other: 3x 1"/25mm buttons
Time: 2 weeks


One ball of Felted Tweed seems to go a long way. I'm actually wondering if there was a typo on the labels for this batch because I can't find any shade cards, old or new, that have #131 although another, similar number looks very much like this colorway.

This pullover is another basic shape knit from the bottom-up in the round with some simple waist shaping on the sides. I placed an inch and a half worth of stitches on a holder for the neck band when I started the increases for the upper half. Then I worked flat for the rest of the body, dividing the fronts and back at the start of the armscye shaping. The hardest parts to figure out were the front and back neck shaping. The sleeves were also knit in the round to the sleeve cap, which was knit flat. Just to add a tiny bit of interest in the sea of stockinette, I worked purl stitches on the sides and down the inside of the sleeve to create a faux seam.

The sleeves ended up being a bit looser than I expected, but that's not a bad thing. The Felted Tweed feels a bit scratchy so I'll be wearing a shirt underneath. I actually suspected that would be the case, so I knit the body with enough ease for layering, anyway.

I don't know if anyone's noticed but I usually stick to a very basic structure when knitting without patterns (only exception was the Gucci-inspired cardi). I don't do any complicated shaping and I refer to notes from previous projects to figure out those numbers. I suppose this is why I will never be an actual pattern writer. Everything I make without a pattern is tailored specifically to my body and preferences in fit. I have no idea how I would translate that into a range of general sizes.

Next up is the Venezia Pullover from the Winter 2006 Interweave. Well, it will be as soon as my needles get here. In the meantime, I think I'll work on some destashing and Dulaan knitting.

Labels: , ,

01 March 2007


The split neck raglan evolved into a V-neck pullover.

A ball of Rowan Felted Tweed can go a long way. I only used three for the body plus a bit of a fourth ball for half the neck band.

I changed my mind about making it a split neck raglan when I finished the waist decreases. It's now a V-neck with a vertical button band halfway down the front. I also changed it from a raglan to a pullover with set in sleeves because I personally think they're more comfortable. And for some reason, I have trouble figuring out raglan shaping.

I just started the first sleeve. Judging by the weather these couple days, I'll have plenty of knitting time.